Saturday 12 November 2011

Proposed Interview Questions

Over the next week I plan to carry out my peer and professional interviews for my Inquiry. The following are a list of my proposed questions:


·     What is your role/connection to the arts?


·     In your opinion do you feel if you teach in the arts is it possible/suitable to perform alongside and why?
 

·    Do you feel in a performance career is desired a teaching role can be sustained comfortably?
 

·    Can a balance between teaching and performing be established   n order to provide a long term career path?
 

·    What was the main emphasis of your training connected with the arts?
 

·    Did your initial intentions for your career path and training turn out to be the role you are in now? If not why do you think that is?
 

·     Do you feel teaching can benefit or act as a barrier to pursuing a performance carer?
 

·     Similarly Do you feel performing can benefit or act as a barrier to pursuing a teaching career?
 

·     Knowing how difficult employment within the arts can be at times, as a performer myself, Instead of having gaps of unemployment on my CV when I am between performance contracts I teach. Do you think a casting director/employer (teaching role) would view this experience as valuable or detrimental?
 

·     If I were to combine my performance credits and my teaching credits on one CV showing continuity of employment would this impede my chances to pursue future performing or teaching employment?
 

·     Is it better to keep performing and teaching credits on separate CV’s?
 

·     If a performer has a few months where they didn’t perform or only had a small amount is it better to leave their CV blank or include periods they were teaching?
 

·     How do you think a casting director would respond to teaching credits o a performers CV application?
 

·     How would an employer looking to hire a teacher respond to a teachers CV containing performance credits?
 

·     Do you feel all performers have the capabilities and are suited to teach? Or should have performers have teaching qualifications before a teaching role is pursued?
 

·     Does the ability to perform in more than one discipline provide a stronger platform for their teaching ability?
 

·     If you are a ‘triple threat’ performer (professional credits) does this demonstrate a wider area of expertise to teach in? Is this an example of how a performance career could benefit a teaching role? Could the same be said for experienced teachers in the arts? Are they able to perform automatically or is performance training needed first?
 

·     What are your opinions on the following statement:

-     At points in each performers career transitions are necessary in order to sustain employment within the arts.

-    What do you think are the main reason for these changes if any?
 

·     Is adaptability a large factor for a performer’s career longevity?
 

·     Why do you think many performers turn to teaching?
 

·     Do you think teachers choose not to perform or feel they aren’t allowed the opportunity?

·     Is there a divide between teachers and performers with reference to ability?
 

·     During your training is there anything you would, on reflection, add/exclude or increase to the focus of your course in order to provide assistance to your career?
 

·     Would combining teaching and a performance career long term bring stability and encourage a positive impression to working within the arts? Or would this be a negative thing to do and not advisable?
 

·     Should/could performers and teachers combine their skills in order to produce a new type of role –performing teacher/teaching performer?
 

·      What form of training produces the most productive type of performer?
 

·     What form of training produces the most productive type of teacher?
 

·     Which background (teacher or performer) produces the most productive teacher?
 

·     Which background (teacher or performer) produces the most productive performer?
 

·     How can I make my choice to combine both roles more productive and successful moving forward?


·     What age were you introduced to the arts how much influence did this have on your choice of avenue to pursue?

 
I hope these questions will allow me to gain a wide variety of opinions and bring me closer to answering my inquiry question 'Does a teaching role within the arts impede or help the opportunity to perform?'

Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think to these questions.


3 comments:

  1. The following 12 questions stood out to me :)
    1.What is your role/connection to the arts?
    2.What was the main emphasis of your training connected with the arts?
    3.Did your initial intentions for your career path and training turn out to be the role you are in now? If not why do you think that is?
    4.Do you feel teaching can benefit or act as a barrier to pursuing a performance carer?
    5.Similarly Do you feel performing can benefit or act as a barrier to pursuing a teaching career?
    6.Would combining teaching and a performance career long term bring stability and encourage a positive impression to working within the arts? Or would this be a negative thing to do and not advisable?
    7.Do you feel all performers have the capabilities and are suited to teach? Or should have performers have teaching qualifications before a teaching role is pursued?
    8. Is it better to keep performing and teaching credits on separate CV’s? ( How do you think a casting director would respond to teaching credits o a performers CV application?/ How would an employer looking to hire a teacher respond to a teachers CV containing performance credits?)
    9.Is there a divide between teachers and performers with reference to ability?
    10.Why do you think many performers turn to teaching?
    11.Should/could performers and teachers combine their skills in order to produce a new type of role –performing teacher/teaching performer?
    12.How can I make my choice to combine both roles more productive and successful moving forward?
    The first three questions is to find out the interviewee's standing point in the arts,
    then I think the rest would be categorized in
    A. Forte/weakness of a performer who also teaches
    B. Forte/weakness of a teacher who also performs
    C. The positive/negative effect of combining the two
    It helped me to divide all questions into categories, with one main question followed by few sub-questions that supplement the main Q or cut into details.
    For interviews, I believe it helps to have a personal opinion on the overall inquiry question, whether your view is positive or negative. The interview questions must be open to all opinions to avoid any preconceptions, so I found it helpful to be conscious of my own standing point to cut out biased questions. It should be kept flexible, with possibility to change throughout the interview according to what you hear from the interviewee.
    I personally think being a teacher+performer aids financial stability, opens up career development opportunities and enhance both professions by having two different viewpoints towards your art. It must be difficult to manage both, so I respect teacher+performers for their ability!
    Hope this blabbing somehow helps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina thank you very much for your response I really think your process of categorising my questions is very useful. I know I had a lot of questions which on reflection wouldn't give much opportunity to respond if I were to attempt them all. I feel you are right saying I need to allow for flexibility in the answers I gain and be prepared to change with each participant’s perspective. I know on reflection some of my questions could be perceived as biased possible trying to coerce an answer which supported my opinion. This obviously is something I don't want to do otherwise my results wouldn't be true and my inquiry wouldn’t be helping anyone by me leading the outcome towards just my way of thinking. Your opinion is greatly appreciated! Now I plan to refine my interview questions and technique in preparation to carrying them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These questions are so interesting. I have been so remiss when it comes to checking the blogs. What is your final inquiry title? I would love to know the out come of it because as you know I perform and teach.

    The questions have really given me pause for thought. On my teaching CV i have my performing credits but I would never put my teaching credits on my performing CV. Is that right? Is that what others do? I would love to know.

    I personally feel that my skill set as a performer had improved vastly since starting to teach. I do always feel that I am not a good enough teacher though because I have never been 'trained' as one. Something always sticks in my mind from one of the campus sessions. I don't remember who said it but someone said that quite often performers fall into teaching because they don't know what else to do, but that not all people can or should teach.

    I wish there some kind of mentor system to pass on teaching skills from one teacher performer to the next. I really want to be able to teach and perform side by side so please keep me informed of your findings. I think the questions are great, although I didn't understand the third one.

    ReplyDelete