Monday 28 March 2011

Task 4D Further explanation for my Award Rationale


My first Proposed Award title:

The award I seek as a result of doing this programme is BA (Hons) Professional Practice (Musical Theatre Education)

I believe this title would be suit my current and future career path because of the practical performing career I've had combined with my training. 

My training was one that was specifically designed in order for me to receive a combined Musical Theatre and Classical training. I studied both Music Technology and Theatre Studies A Level's alongside this full time National Diploma Course to further enhance my knowledge and understanding on other aspects of theatre and the technical back stage operations as well as performance training.

I am satisfied that using the title Musical Theatre is appropriate as I feel it well describes my professional practices having performed as a Dancer, Singer and Actress since graduating. For the last three years I have also worked as a vocal and musical theatre coach so I intend for my place of employment to be prime location for my inquiry.

During this time I have taught children from the age of five to adult preparing them for them for performances, auditions and exams. I have entered many pupils in Musical Theatre and Popular Music exams through the London School of Music (LSM) Board. I have achieved 100% pass rate 95% being Distinction. For this reason I feel using the term Education is appropriate within my award title having shown my ability to educate and pass on appropriate knowledge and skills to others. 

After reading Mark Iles blog on his award rationale I started to think about where I'd like see my career heading if I were to teach full time. I would like to see myself teaching in a Vocational institute not dissimilar to the one I trained at. So I questioned whether it would be appropriate to incorporate this somewhere within my award title.

Mark asked “how do I incorporate Musical Theatre as well as the work I am doing on vocational training, with the aim of looking impressive to future employers from vocational colleges?" Looking at the first award title I proposed I now wondered if my previous suggestion could be further improved in order for my title to be interpreted more specifically and seem more hireable for future employers.

Therefore my second proposed award title would be:

The award I seek as a result of doing this programme is BA (Hons) Professional Practice (Vocational Musical Theatre Education).

Any opinions on either title would be gratefully received.



No comments:

Post a Comment