Wednesday 2 March 2011

Training -Musical Theatre/Dance and the relevance of age.

My line of enquiry when looking at Musical theatre from the beginning (training) to then working in the professional industry:
How important is the type of vocational training received when compared with the age it was attained?
In various other discussions via blogs and SIG'S I've talked about the importance of the age for a dancer to start training as I believe it is more vital to be taken into consideration and start sooner.
For those of us who have more than area of ability i.e. Singer/Dancer/Actor does time/age become more or less important having other skills to rely on to help sustain our career?
I feel it can take years to be considered a 'professional' Actor or Musical Theatre performer in today's industry compared with a Dancer who can leave college like I did graduating you are more considered professional straight away. Why can't the same be said for Musical Theatre performers or Actors are there different standards/ judgements of Dance to Musical Theatre or Acting?
I didn't feel like I could call myself a Musical Theatre performer for some time stuck under the label of Dancer or Singer. I still don't feel the term Musical Theatre performer is the best way for me to sum up who I am and what I do but for the time being it will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment