Wednesday 30 March 2011

Task 5a Considering Codes of Practice and Ethics within my work place


When asked to look at ethics and the codes of conduct within my workplace/professional community for task 5a I found myself thinking in two differing mindsets. Firstly from from a teaching perspective where I considered the responsibilities I had as an educator being accountable for pupils under my care. Secondly I considered my place as a performer working with fellow cast members and crew to maintain a safe working environment.

In my mind ethics and code of conduct are things that need in place for all involved in the work place to maintain safety and professionalism.
As a teacher working within a school I would consider the following ethics/codes of practice and regulations to be relevant for me personally and others within the work place:

  • All staff must be CRB checked in order to work with any pupil child or adult under the schools name and premises.
  • All information held on the database of pupils/staff will remain private and should not be shared unless for medical reasons.
  • Equal opportunities as a teacher I must not discriminate against any one because of their age/gender/race/religion or personal beliefs.
  • Bullying/abusive behaviour of any kind from staff,pupils or parent will not be tolerated and it is my responsibility if I see this occurring to act accordingly.
  • The use of inappropriate language from any staff member or pupil is not acceptable.
  • All material ie music,scripts and choreography I use in the classroom must age appropriate and not contain adult/offensive content. 
  • Signing in and out of the building and taking registers is an essential part of my job as I need to know who I am responsible for at any given time if there were a fire drill or even just for billing purposes.
  • Appearance-I feel it is important in my position to maintain a smart appearance and differentiate myself from the pupils in order to sustain authority where necessary.
  • Lesson planning.I plan all my lessons to keep challenging pupils as I believe this is important to keep them focused and to track their progression as well as a reference for my employer to track my syllabus choices.
  • Warm up/cool down-It is important to have a class structure so warming up and cooling down in class and allowing pupils to keep hydrated when involved with physical activity is essential.
  • Health and safety.Being vigilant and aware of surroundings ie large studio windows being left open when children are unsupervised or blocked fire exits have high risk factors and I am accountable if I do not maintain a high level of safety.
  • Organisation. All teachers are expected to arrive fifteen minutes prior to their lesson starting to ensure the lesson starts on time and check suitability of studio/practice room conditions. 
  • All school equipment must be respected and looked after any damages to school property needs to be reported and electrical items must be checked by a qualified electrician to prevent a fault.
  • Accident book. I know our school has an accident book and any incident however small it may seem must be recorded and signed by all parties for insurance reasons.
  • Fire escape routes/what to do in an emergency.This procedure is very important fro all staff to be aware of.
  • On site a first aider must always be to hand.
  • If I have any problems I feel confident knowing I can approach my employer and speak privately about any issues. All opinions I have of pupils is kept private I would never share my personal views as it is not part of my job description.
  • Respect for others views and feelings no matter my personal stance  is important to maintain teacher/ pupil boundaries.
I know some of the above maybe classed as more health and safety/risk assessment aspects of my job rather than the rules and regulations that the school run by but I feel its important to be aware of them in order to work ethically and follow their code of conduct.

I have compiled this list from my own personal views without reference to any other data.

Currently my main job is working as a vocal and musical theatre coach so I will now look into my schools code of conduct and see how they differ from my initial thoughts above.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I posted this in the comments to my blog but thought I'd better put it on here too in case you'd didn't see it.

    "Hi Rebecca, I hope you read this (perhaps I'll post it on your blog too). Thanks so much for your comments they really got me thinking, again :)

    I think you're right that our goals seem pretty similar so I wouldn't be at surprised if our title ended up being exactly the same. I think you are definitely right to take the 'IN' out. I hadn't thought about it before but by saying 'IN' it implies you want to teach in an educational setting.

    I really like Vocational musical theatre education. It says everything it needs too but is simple as well. Vocational (because we are interested in it at a professional level), Musical Theatre (because it is where most of our experience lies), and Education (because as you say we have necessary skills that we have gained through the profession that we want to now pass on to training students)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I was also wondering if I could interview you at some point? Probably over the phone or Skype? The interview would be about musical theatre training and I think you might have some useful insights. I also think any help you could give me on the structure and type of questions I ask would be really good.

    ReplyDelete