Tuesday 6 December 2011

How the Facebook SIG's have helped my inquiry

I have had many discussions via facebook SIG's which allowed be to establish just how many other teaching-performers there were on this course. With my inquiry veering towards how I could possible improve my understanding of how others are able to sustain working within the performing arts industry. I was able to ask questions that I was planning on asking in my interviews and refine the question upon others responses. I used the various SIG's to cherry pick my area of interest whether it be dance/singing teachers, dancers, singers and other performers. This proved extremely useful as well as being able to ask my questions I was able to share my experiences with others which in turn helped bring focus to my inquiry seeing where I could potentially improve my chances of staying in the industry longer. After much deliberation I pinpointed the exact area that I wished to concentrate my inquiry on looking to see whether or not a teaching career within the arts impeded the opportunity to perform.

I found that many others shared passion of performing and taught alongside which definitely gave me assurance that I wasn't alone in my chosen decision to combine a teaching and performance role. I discussed the need for teaching when not performing and the surprising outcome of a lot of people who said they hadn't all planned to teach but sort of fell into and found a real passion for it. Others felt aware they would probably at some point need to teach in order to support their performance career if they hadn't already done so, seeing it as a financially motivated decision as it was the easiest and most obvious choice. Finding many different experiences from a variety of backgrounds I realised that in order for me to bring substance and clarity to my inquiry that is exactly what I would need to do so. Rather than just going to the people who already combined both roles I could approach people before hand i.e. students still training, performers who hadn't needed or wanted to turn to teaching. I also thought I could examine the impact the combination of both roles could have on a person’s perception from others in the industry. I can recall one person had commented saying g they hadn't wanted to teach as they didn't see it necessary as they had been able to find enough performance work and were uninterested in teaching anyway. This made me think if that’s there personal view who else would view this as unnecessary or not be interested. Could this combination be a negative thing for a performer to teach? What would say a casting director view this experience as, valuable or see it as a distraction?

As much as I view teaching as a way for me to gain valuable experience and sustain my connection in the arts others clearly didn't share my view. I began teaching as a way of financing my dance classes and auditions once I graduated so this enabled me to follow my passion. As my career has progressed teaching became something that I was able to dip in and out of between performance contracts. At times I have been put in a position where I have had to make a decision between the two and often wonder if that was the right decision. I now began to wonder depending on the perspective, what others felt about this combination and could see whether the advice I received could provide clarity for me and perhaps others on the realities of making these types of career choices.

As a result of these SIG interactions I became more confident in my decision to investigate as many different perceptions allowing myself to gain a true indication of the impact a combined teaching and performing career may be perceived from other industry professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment