Friday 2 December 2011

My decisions for not including observations in my inquiry then changing my mind again.

For my final inquiry observations initially I considered observing three of my colleagues teaching a variety of drama and dance classes. With this I wondered what could I observe and what it could bring to my inquiry in the way of data? Having the option to hold peer observations looking at teaching methods to answer Does a teaching role within the arts impede the opportunity to perform. I was able to get three teachers who all agreed and took part in my focus group and once I reviewed the content of this I really didn’t see how observing them further could add anything else relevant to my inquiry that their previous opinions had provided. So with this in mind not feeling I had access to observe any other sources I opted to not use observations as one of my inquiry tools.

Since this decision I started to ask the question what If I could observe/interview or hold a focus group with anyone who would it be even outside of my professional network to bring more perspectives and opinions to my inquiry? Then the answer came to me just because I wasn't able to speak directly or meet with casting directors, performers and teachers from across the industry working within the arts didn't mean that their opinions weren't accessible and available to me! One thing that this BAPP course has really taught me is that the use of modern technology has the ability to allow me access to vast amounts of knowledge and information that hasn't always been readily available. The likes of youtube has enabled me to source so many videos packed full of advice and information from right across the industry. I have had previous experience of using youtube from where I publicised my own dance show reel but I don't think I had fully appreciated the full potential it had until now. The reach is huge and I found so much relevant information for my inquiry which has proved astounding.

So from deciding against including observations within my inquiry I then opted to now include them again. Having the ability to cherry pick different professional perspectives from a variety of backgrounds I believe has really brought further substance to my inquiry.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment