Monday 5 December 2011

Literature Review 3 Frustrated Professional or Contented Amateur

The next piece of literature I have chosen to review is taken from a book which was lent to me by Ella Fontaine a fellow performing teacher. Her speciality is in opera singing so the book which she refers to as her "Bible" gives advice for that discipline in particular but I believe is very poignant for my inquiry. It was following my interview with her that she recommended it to me as she felt it may contain some interesting perceptions on what working within the arts is like.

The third piece of literature taken form Voice (Menuhin, 1983) Chapter 12 entitled Frustrated Professional or Contented Amateur by Phillipa Thomson ex student and PA to the Royal College of Music from 1974-1980.

The title of this article was interesting and really stood out to me as I am looking to establish different opinions from people working within the arts so the comparison of amateurs and professionals was intriguing. Phillipa studied at the Royal College of Music to train as a professional singer but soon found herself become secretary of the students association. Through this position she found herself developing administrative and organisational skills. Arranging extracurricular events, recitals and concerts with volunteers from her course. Her original idea to train as a professional singer soon changed as she found a new passion “At the end of three years at college it was quite obvious that I was not destined to become a soloist". Phillipa had gained a teacher diploma in singing but her lack of pianist skills "severely handicapped" her when it came to giving private lessons. Her initial career path and training aspirations had not resulted in the role she was to embark upon for her future career. "I enjoyed my college career enormously but not for the reasons that I had imagined when I embarked upon it". Once she graduated she found herself securing secretarial work to support herself financially and "seized every opportunity for music-making in the evening and weekends".

I was surprised to read how she found huge satisfaction by performing as often as she could without having to face huge pressure and rejection classing herself as an amateur. How empowering it must feel to know you can enjoy what you love without concerning herself with the worry of needing to earn money through it. I think at times it is easy to forget why I am a performer I love the feeling I get when I perform because I feel the most relaxed and myself I suppose it’s just in my nature. I perform because I love it not for fame and fortune. This article has really made me think which scenario would be better then, frustrated professional or contented amateur?

Currently finding myself teaching for financial security as well as enjoyment to stay working within the arts, I am able to relate with this situation as I'm sure could many other professionals. I'm believe from reading this article Phillipa didn't intend to be an amateur but found surprising satisfaction through being a secretary and which enabled her to perform with ease by doing so. I believe this article really highlights potential discoveries and uncertainties that lie when attempting a career in the arts. I see this article as a great example of how artists can pursue different roles whilst sustaining performance opportunities to the arts.

For my inquiry I have looked for examples of where and when teaching roles within the arts impedes the opportunity to perform. This article has brought a new perspective to my investigations being that Phillipa was an amateur performer so her performance opportunities appeared not to be impeded by her secretary (day job). Her job actually appears to have enabled her to pursue her performance career without the constraints of financial worries or face rejection of auditions. Being an amateur it seems money isn't a concern being a professional is where finances cause complications. It has made me question if a person loves performing why not just become an amateur and take on another role perhaps teaching to provide financial stability?

Having read this article I am further compelled to search for as many perspectives from individuals in the arts to provide conclusive evidence for my inquiry. This article surprised me as I hadn't considered that amateur’s opinions could provide just as informative a perspective as a professional. I had opened up my survey up to all professionals associated within the arts for feedback I wonder if any amateur performers wanted to have their but didn't because I used the word professional maybe I could have made this clearer. Being paid makes you a professional, not being paid makes you an amateur but the passion is just the same isn't it?

Yehudi Menuhin. (1983). Frustrated Professional or Contented Amateur. In: Sir Keith Falkner Voice. London: Macdonald & Co. p99-102.(Accessed 19.11.11)

No comments:

Post a Comment