Tuesday 7 December 2010

Are there any downsides to Web 2.0 based technologies and how would I handle them?

I am a big believer that first impressions are the most important especially within the performance industry. The pressure is on right away when using web 2.0 based technologies to find the right balance whether it be in a professional capacity or personal.

When an employer receives hundreds of Cv's they undoubtedly will glance over them judging each photograph and brief experience in an instant. This isn't always a fair way to truly get to know a performer but its human nature to judge straight away. Everyone wants to make their CV as eye catching as possible using web based technologies to adjust and send them but there is only so much you can do to achieve this.

I have found that using web 2.0 technologies such as facebook to be a great ‘tool’ for people to get a good idea of the type of person you are as long as these technologies are used responsibly and honestly. My initial reluctance to join facebook was mainly down to the fact that I am a fairly private person. I feel it has become to easy to freely share information online with many seemingly giving a minute by minute account of peoples lives wherever they may be in the world. I can see for some that this can be somewhat therapeutic for people but I often wonder if they are aware that their openness leaves them venerable for people using this information to form an opinion and not always a positive one without even meeting the person. I have tried to handle this since joining facebook by limiting all information and photographs I share with people in the hope of retaining a certain amount of privacy and professional reputation. If a potential employer were to view my profile I would feel confident that there wouldn’t be any information they could see that would be harmful towards an application.
The advantages to Web 2.0 based technologies like facebook are the magnitude of free information and connections to employers worldwide. The way in which technology has progressed means if I am to stay up to date with modern technologies I must embrace this new networking tool to maximise my career opportunities.
I have to agree after reading Cerys’s blog we shared many of the same thoughts and concerns when it comes to using Facebook and blogging. A disadvantage of web 2.0 technologies has to be the way in which with such ease we all believe everything we read on a person’s blog and Cv without question. I’ve actually known performers to use photographs that are over twelve years old to use in an application. To me this is a big disadvantage to web based technologies by hiding behind technology itself. Until you meet that person you assume they will look like their picture so a certain amount of trust has to be given.
I had a friend who applied for a job via video audition she had made six months earlier and was offered the job. When she arrived for rehearsals she had changed so much that she lost the contract because she was dishonest about her change in appearance. For me personally I think honesty must work both ways. As performers we wouldn’t deem it acceptable if an employer promised things and then didn’t deliver so as a performer I can’t ethically do the same.
The dangers for dishonesty hiding behind web 2.0 technologies tools is apparent on both sides of the industry for employers and performers alike. So taking into consideration these advantages and disadvantages I believe if I use common sense and air on the side of caution when in doubt I can still benefit from Web 2.0 based technologies as a resourceful industry tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment