Thursday 9 December 2010

Task 2b Journal Writing experience

The day I have chosen to write about was last Saturday 4th December.I spent the day teaching and preparing pupils for their exams then in the evening rushed to the theatre for another performance of Puttin on the Ritz.

Once I had completed my first few journal entries I was surprised to find how easily I found it to emphasise when I looked at my days from other peoples perspectives.I have always known I had a very vivid imagination but hadn't realised how this could help me when writing my journal. Looking at Moon's quote "To deepen the quality of learning, in the form of critical thinking or developing a questioning attitude"I found this quite significant in the way I approached my journal entries.Critical thinking to me sounds somewhat negative so I tried to look at how this could be a positive/constructive way of assessing my daily experiences. 


When it came to the 'What if' section considering what could of happened during my day I thought about what could have gone wrong particularly during the show.In the past before a show I've felt nervous as we all do at times I'm sure but just ignored the nerves and accepted them as part of the process you go through.Instead of this negative approach acknowledging these feelings and creating different scenarios in the 'What if' section helped me to realise that its ok to feel nervous. Imagining that the worst happened for example I did fall over during a performance it was easier to see in the bigger picture if it happened I could just get up and carry on it wouldn't be so bad and I can learn from this by questioning what had gone wrong and seeing what I can learn from this. So instead of spending my time worrying about what might happen I can now free my mind and focus on what will happen with are more positive mind set.


Each time I start a new show the same reservations appear I think because I want to be the best I can be. Looking back I can see a correlation with these feeling in the past. Now using the 'What if' process imagining the worst case scenario's has already made me have more control over each situation which I've found somewhat cathartic.


In Moon's discussions she says journal entries are a way "To provide an alternative'voice' for those not good at expressing themselves".I really identified with this as I found in my journal I could write so much freely and free from worry about organising it there and then.How ever I recalled things I just wrote about them then afterwards I am able to critically reflect on them and make more sense of these experiences.My inner voice becoming uncensored and brutally honest helps me use the information to see from every angle in turn giving me a deeper understanding.
  
Using these different techniques to vary the way in which I write in my reflective diary has made me realise I am a deep thinker.I've had people say this but never really understood or appreciated how until now reading over my journal entries.I feel human nature means you don't necessarily question what is normal to you, might appear un normal to others until you reflect and analyse yourself.


Writing about an professional disagreement/discrepancy from my perspective then the other perspective showed me how when I stand my ground even if the other person is struggling honesty is the best policy.By staying calm and in control I was able to resolve the situation. I had questioned my initial reaction but now after reflecting on it I can see I was right to trust my instincts.


I found the initial reflection,what if  and another view style of writing very insightful and effective.I will definitely use these styles in my journal entries as I feel these will give me a well rounded view of my days and help me to approach my professional conduct well equipped for any situation.


A quote which I heard many years ago "Feel the fear but do it anyway" has recently struck a cord with me when looking over some of my entries I hope this phrase will help me remember these experiences leading to making me stronger as a Professional.As Moon has said "To enhance the personal valuing of the self towards self empowerment"feels important to me right now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca - I think it's important when "standing your ground" that you have a well thought out coherent argument which is exactly what we are looking for at this level. Achieving this coherent argument comes from evidence (publications and ideas for example) as well inferences from documented experiences or data you may gather. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete