Tuesday 21 December 2010

Reflective Theory Task 2c

Once viewing the course reader I realised that I have always been aware of reflective practice within my profession but questioned whether I had always chosen to maximise its full potential.
Looking at John Dewey’s concept that the educational process is a "continual reorganization, reconstruction and transformation of experience" (Dewey, 1916).It made me see that as a performer I am continually re assessing my performances looking for new ways to keep the energy and experience alive.

Dewey was interested in ‘experience’ and said there were different levels of experience. I would  definitely agree that there are different levels of experience , I feel the most effective way to maximise the learning potential is by experiencing it whether it be physically or emotionally to learn about  myself as a performer. If I have a one of performance I’m only given one chance to experience and reflect on the performance process. If mistakes are made or uncertainty arises it has been too easy to dismiss this and underestimate the educational benefit this could give as an “experiential action” not maximising it usefulness to learn from because of the “low level of engagement”.

By considering Dewey’s statements I can see how by dismissing this opportunity I became unaware of the experience and unable to apply a positive “reflective thought” to this performance rather than the lost opportunity. At least this realisation has made me more intent on changing this process in the future.

 The more performances I have I feel the potential increases to re evaluate and learn from the process therefore increasing the “level of engagement”. The show I’m currently in really gives me time for reflective practice on a deep level of engagement performing 4/5 nights a week. Dewey saw education as an experiential action and said there were different levels of experience. I believe the more performance opportunities that arise for me the more educational benefits there are to be had.  As a performer reflection is a perpetual process that allows me to feel fulfilled and continue to contribute as a well rounded individual. I am always evaluating each performance and considering if I gave a good performance or question whether if I needed to change anything the next night.

Dewey saw ‘reflective thought’ as

‘active, persistent, and careful consideration of any belief or supposed form of knowledge in the light of the grounds that support it and the further conclusions to which it tends’ (Dewey, 1933).

This “careful consideration” Dewey speaks of is very true to the way in which I approach my reflection process. Being a performer I am constantly re evaluating performances looking for new ways to interact and connect with an audience.
 I like to be able to make snap judgements as well which comes from putting careful consideration into practice over a long period of time. The more I come across situation the more times I have to deal and adapt with it. I think having over five years of professional experience certain things just become an unconscious reaction just the other day half way through the opening number of our show we had a power cut which knocked out all sound for the singers and dancers. Collectively all six dancers continued with the tap routine rhythm until we came to a point where we deemed it necessary to exit as it was apparent the music wasn’t going to come back on anytime soon. This experience would maybe once have really fazed me and possibly put me in the wrong mind set but looking at how I dealt with the situation I realised that unknowingly I was very calm and applied  ‘active experimentation’ I instinctively I knew what to do.
I think these processes aren’t just specific to my performances and can spill over into everyday life as well as the stage due to my personality. Where is the line from person to performer drawn?  I don’t feel there can be a clear line drawn being under constant scrutiny and judgement on stage, in rehearsals and auditions has made my professional attitude becoming a constant. Linking back to my management of my facebook account being aware how I’m viewed even when I’m not aware.

DEWEY, J. 1916. Democracy and education : an introduction to the philosophy of
education, New York, Macmillan.
DEWEY, J. 1933. How we think : a restatement of the relation of reflective thinking
to the educative process, Boston, Mass, D.C. Heath.

No comments:

Post a Comment