Tuesday 21 December 2010

Kolb’s learning cycle Task 2c

Looking at Kolb’s learning cycle I can see the cycle is continually revolving and evolving which is very true to life. Throughout my reflective practice I find myself entering the cycle at different stages.
·         A concrete experience (doing/having an experience)

I enter this experience when I step on stage to perform. I know the choreography but no one show is exactly the same having learnt  that I am in control of what happens I use this point in the cycle to maintain the high standards in my professional practice by applying concentration and focus in order to reaffirm my experience.

  
·         A reflective observation (reviewing/reflecting on the experience)

I enter this stage when I am teaching  In my singing lessons I work with pupils mainly one on one to encourage each pupil to be imaginative with their interpretation in their performances hoping their individuality will come through. I have seen in the past when a performer mimics another then often the performance can fall flat because there wasn’t a true connection. I have realised that if a performance doesn’t have a true foundation then it becomes shallow therefore lacks depth. I’m honest with what I see, hear and feel which has definitely given me a lot more insight into my professional approach to performing. I am honest and give constructive criticism to others to help bring out their critical eye and opinions.  I often write up evaluations on pupils progress which I can reflect on and see how far they have progressed from one term to the next alongside their exam results to come to the conclusion that reflective observation is vital for me to keep a track and maintain a productive learning process.

       
·         An abstract conceptualisation (concluding/learning from the experience)

For me this stage comes after a performance when I can reflect and make decisions about the performance I have given or just seen. After a performance I get a huge rush of adrenalin which leaves me feeling elated and satisfied with my performance. Once I’ve come down from this high I can see things in a different light which gives me a comparison with the opinion I made when I first came of stage which helps me to get a well rounded idea of the experience and concluding the successfulness of the performance.


·         An active experimentation (planning/trying out what you have learned)

This comes when I prepare a lesson plan for each individual pupil assessing their individual needs and trying to suit their personalities. I often find what I have planned for a pupil might need modifying when I put it into practice. At times I am guilty of underestimating a pupils potential and find the lesson plan in completed with time to spare. So the next lesson I learn to challenge that pupil knowing their limits are greater. In turn I’ve found that I have over estimated the learning potential of some students and have to simplify my methods. Trial and error often occurs depending on the mood of some of my pupils. Due to the age of some of my pupils they can tire easily and I realise that they have reached their limits so trying to push on with my lesson plan is useless. No matter how much you plan a lesson their are always external factors that will change the situation meaning I have to think on the spot and use active experimentation with another method.   

No comments:

Post a Comment