Wednesday 6 April 2011

Task 5c Professional Ethics



How what I've Learnt fits into the theoretical ethical framework.

I've discovered that both my personal ethics and professional ethics are necessary for continued productivity in everyday life. 

'Hobbes (1651) viewed ethics as a practical solution to social harmony and good through
the vehicle of a social contract’.
I have found at times my personal morals and ethics have been overruled by my professional work place ethics. The realisation that I ultimately must allow a parent to parent their own child and not undermined their authority even if I feel it impedes their learning potential is necessary for this social harmony(even if it feels like a contradiction to my job). This moral dilemma has at times left me questioning my personal views but knowing I have a professional work ethic to abide by I am bound to these obligations.
If I allowed my (personal) emotions to rule my (professional) head I would be in breach of these 'moral rules' which Hobbes (1651) describes 'in order to achieve peaceful, co-operative social order we need to adhere to a set of moral rules'. These rules are necessary because if there were no set rules to abide by and seek guidance from how mistakes are learnt from, procedures improved upon and ultimately clarification of status and professionalism. Hobbes (1651)'Without moral rules, these facets would lead to a constant state of war with one and all, which would be intolerable'.

What I have learned about ethics in a professional context.

One thing I can take from this realisation is when mistakes are made lessons are learnt and by seeing what went wrong you find what is right and follow that pattern to make up guidelines of your own for both personal and professional conduct. This is something that I have come to use in my professional practice already. I guess it would be fair to say that learning happens from both sides not just from teacher to pupil. When I teach I have discovered how my teaching methods are beneficial or not so I can question this maybe I was too strict or not strict enough to bring out the most potential. Professionally speaking I need to be seen as authoritative but personally I want the pupil to enjoy there lesson's and not feel under pressure. 

Everyone has expectations for the professional ethics within the school I teach for my personal ethics as a teacher.     
My employer's expectations of me are ones of professionalism, commitment and co-operation all things I would expect from them in return. By reaffirming theses expectations and understanding these guidelines set out by them has given strength to my inquiry.

By broadening my understanding behind the workings of an educational institute I believe I am in a more knowledgeable position moving forward to prepare me for my hopeful career transition, at some stage into a Vocational Education setting. 

I realise the difference between my personal ethics and morals which make up my character and my professional ethics which determines how I work and by what code I am ruled by.
I see how my moral code is built up of virtues which I live by making up my character and how I behave. Abiding by a professional code of conduct is something that becomes instinctive to achieve professionalism. Through this task I have gained a deeper insight into the running of my school/organisation and new found respect for my input.


How what I have discovered fits in with the ethics of my professional inquiry

My professional inquiry is based around the social /educational impact musical theatre can have. I found these ethics brought clarity to my professional inquiry by differentiating responsibilities, expectations and legal protocol needed.
Through my inquiry I wanted to look at how and where musical theatre training starts and the process ultimately a performer goes through to achieve the end result working in the professional industry.
I intend to deepen my understanding of others perceptions of musical theatre within an education and a professional setting and see what I could bring to make this transition more successful if possible. One way in which I have tried to do this was by starting my own SIG on facebook with the heading 'Musical Theatre Education' With this I’m continually aiming to gain opinions seeing how musical theatre, whatever interpretation of it, impacts peoples learning.
I want to find out who has these perceptions and how have they been established over time.

Having looked at ethics in a professional context I see the impact that my personal and professional ethics has a significant impact on more than just my pupils in the moment. It clearly is something that will overlap at times in order for me to stay connected with what I enjoy and bring harmony to my professional conduct.  

Personal ethics and professional ethics ultimately are combined to make up a 'large society for the promotion of social good' according to Hobbes (1651) which ultimately I have to agree with.


All things I believe makes up my Personal ethics:

Honesty*
Integrity
Reliable
Tenacity
Open-mindedness*

All things I believe makes up my Professional ethics:

Ambition*
Resilience
Being Meticulous
Tactfulness

*True for both ethical stances.


Hobbes, T. (1651) The Leviathan. London: Penguin Classics



1 comment:

  1. a really interesting analysis of your personal ethics. How would you apply those ethics to an inquiry? What makes an inquiry ethical? are there ethical or unethical ways of asking the same question? As researchers we are always looking at the notion of ethics to make sure that what we do is safe for our participants, to encourage them to be open and honest in a trusting environment. to know that their information is private as they wish and that we will treat people fairly and equitably...not hugely different to a code of ethics...interested to hear yours and other opinion

    ReplyDelete