Tuesday 26 April 2011

Task 6c Literature Review 1

For my first literature review I will be looking at the following article written by Susan Elkin quoting Richard Eyre who is the president of Rose Bruford College of Theatre & Performance. This article is taken from an Education & Training blog on The Stage website aimed at at graduating students looking to inspire these future artists who can shape the future and create purpose within the arts. The whole article can be found at: http://blogs.thestage.co.uk/education/2010/11/richard-eyre-president-of-rose-bruford-o/

This article looks at the value of the arts at a time where politicians seem to under value their status and importance, an opinion which I can relate to. The article is aimed at like minded professionals wanting to promote the value of education in their chosen disciplines. Trying to instil his faith that the government cuts to arts funding won't silence the arts in the long term.

In order for me to establish where musical theatre and its perceptions fit in with society views, Eyre's comment “There is no society that doesn’t engage in the apparently useless activity of making art. It’s a universal instinct: it must therefore be contributing something that’s indispensable to human life.”  Makes a very clear statement and argument implying that the arts, including musical theatre, are essential throughout all lives in society. Giving an answer perhaps to my inquiry question of whether or not musical theatre is necessary or beneficial in mainstream academia/society. Having established its essential inclusion in society in Eyre’s opinion I hope to now explore the potential for justifying its necessary inclusion within mainstream academia.

This article brings reassurance to the reasons why I and many others choose to perform or decide to explore a performance career. This is a question that I don't feel needs an answer more just an understanding as Eyre puts it "the apparently useless activity of making art" is a natural instinctive reaction something that just IS with out the need for justification.

Progressing on to my inquiry of varying methods of training I have been evaluating the effectiveness and possible career potential these courses may hold. Eyre's statement “It’s through education and the arts that the potential of each of us is fulfilled" as a teacher I strive to develop this potential in others and in myself as a performer. I am looking to find ways to maximise this potential and understand how to these choices are being made by others.

Summing up my appreciation for the industry as a whole and bringing me ever closer to discovering the best balance of training needed to ensure maximum career success Eyre's words give me hope not fact's but by simply sharing his opinions. I am aware Eyre's comments were aimed at new graduates about the value of the arts offering no promise of sustained employment or career longevity but instilling his wisdom and optimism instead to motivate and give hope to the future within the arts.

Eyre is clearly a well respected musical theatre, television, opera and film director having received 5 Laurence Olivier award's for best director and is the newly appointed president of Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance. With this wealth of implied knowledge and experience to call upon his thoughts and opinions shared in this article hold much weight with me and my inquiry. I have been exploring society’s perceptions of musical theatre and the different training options available in order to prepare for a career within musical theatre and the arts.

I chose to review this article because of the variety of directing experience across many genres within the arts from musical theatre, television to film. Eyre's opinions hold much substance with his vast experience to call upon.
 

1 comment: