Tuesday 19 April 2011

Task 6a iii) Pilot Focus group plan

When looking to arrange a my pilot focus group I had a good idea of who I'd like to approach and gain their input. The main issue I've already found is trying to pinpoint a time where all 6 of us are available to meet up.
I wondered if I were to arrange a sort of conference call where all of us could spare at least an hour to discuss our points of view would this be considered a focus group still? I know this immediately comes with limitations as the face to face connection is lost and I will have to ask individuals to introduce themselves when sharing ideas in order for me to identify them. I want to get participation from a variation of performers at different stages and areas all linked in one way or another to Musical Theatre's progression/inclusion to education and society.

Should I compromise the quality of information I might receive by making my focus group smaller maybe just two or three people and meet face to face afterall?

I know I need to make a decision soon and I won't be able to do both types of focus group without compromising the results having already discussed issues in one therefore opinions maybe be more influenced if I tried to repeat the same process with the same people.

The following is a list of the different type of individuals I'd like to include in my focus group trying to explain the relevance to musical theatre and thus their potential strength they might give to my inquiry:

  • A professional female dancer who is currently training to become a teacher whilst performing professionally full time.(Vocational training background)
  • A professional female singer with a vast acting and musical theatre background.(non vocational training background)
  • A professional female dancer/choreographer who now runs her own performance company with a large musical theatre influence.(Vocational training background)
  • A male actor who has toured in musical based theatre shows and appeared in more serious TV roles.(Acting degree)
  • A female actress who is in her final year of training at university who also has a large vocal and dance background.(Acting Degree)
  • Finally myself with professional acting, dance and singing credits (Vocational Musical Theatre/Classical Dance training background )
I can see even before I conduct my pilot focus group that I am experiencing limitations but to maximise the effectiveness of combined information I need to accumulate as many opinions as possible.I am able to gain each individuals opinions on a one-to-one basis but I feel there combined opinions would be stronger.

On my next blog I will try to update you on my progression with my focus group pilot.Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment